16 Dec 2020 Dec. Meeting: Medical Legal Partnership on Climate & Health
Medical Legal Partnership on Climate & Health
Tools to help clinicians protect climate-vulnerable patients
The December FCCA Meeting features an exciting new tool to help Clinicians improve health outcomes for climate-vulnerable patients. One of our valued members, Dr. Frederick Anderson has been working with FIU Med students Samantha Rodriguez and Miranda Ricart to partner with the Southeast Regional Medical-Legal Partnerships Coalition. Together, they developed a series of letters that clinicians can use to advocate on behalf of patients vulnerable to extreme heat, mold exposure, or other climate-health threats. Clinicians can provide their patients with the letters to send to their employer, landlord, or school.
The legal advocates have crafted drafts of four templates to be used by clinicians. The letter templates include:
- Housing – request to allow tenant to terminate the lease early due to unhealthy conditions (which may be related to climate change) such as presence of mold, etc.
- Housing – request for repair of Air Conditioning for the medically vulnerable
- School – request for accommodations to include climate mitigation strategies such as access to shade, water breaks, rest for outdoor activities especially for vulnerable children
- Employment – request for accommodations to include climate mitigation strategies such as access to water breaks, rest for outdoor activities, etc.
- Christina Russo Walters, Manager of Public Interest & Medical-Legal Partnerships Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida
- Samantha Cools, Staff Attorney MLP, Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida
- Frederick Anderson, MD, Associate Professor – FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine & Medical Director – Department of Humanities, Health, and Society
- FIU Medical Students Samantha Rodriguez and Miranda Ricart